Thursday 23 June 2011

In Your Dreams by Stevie Nicks (CD)


My music collection is extensive to say the least so expect to see a lot of cd reviews. I have got into the whole downloading thing, but if it's one of my favourite artists then nothing can beat holding the actual cd in your hand. Not many artists are more loved by me than Stevie Nicks, and Fleetwood Mac too needless to add.

This album has been a long time coming, with ten years since the last solo effort and eight years since Fleetwood Mac's last album, and as I am impatient I had to get it from Amazon US on import!

It kicks off with Secret love, the first single, which was never going to trouble the Uk top ten as it's not R&B or dance (2 genres that I do love, but come on song buyers give something else a go too). The song is typically Stevie and isn't immediate but does get under your skin after a few listens, and the same can be said of the album in general.

Her vocals sound silky smooth throughout the whole 13 tracks here, with the help of Dave Stewart (of Eurythmics fame) on production. He also lends his vocals to the brilliantly captivating Cheaper than free, which is the album closer. It's almost worth the ten year wait for the title track alone, for In your dreams (the song) is as instantly catchy and memorable as any of her solo work and would almost definitely have been a big hit if released over twenty years ago. I'd say it was the 'Rooms on fire' of the album in terms of mass appeal and once lodged in your brain you'll be humming it all day I guarantee you.

Other highlights include Annabel Lee, Everybody loves you, You may be the one and the wonderful Italian summer, which Q magazine listed as one of their songs to download last month despite giving the album an unfairly poor review. I'm sure they must have been listening to something else because there's nothing not to love here.

I'll admit it took a couple more listens to get into some of the tracks, but a lot of fans are hailing this as the best album of her career. I wouldn't go that far - that honour would surely go to The other side of the mirror or Bella Donna, but there's plenty to keep you occupied here while you wait for the next Fleetwood Mac reunion. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment